Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Where I Get Lost...

Two words...In Music...

I feel I have almost a weird simpatico with music...well written, well lyricized (it's a word, I checked), actual music that translates into story.

I can seriously put on my iPod and get lost in the music -- the words, the beats.  Somehow, well written music can translate into our lives in so many ways.  Seems that no matter what my mood, I can find songs that touch my heart and soul exactly where I need it.  And everything is better...really.  

Let me be clear in my personal definition of real music.  Stories, period.  I envision boys and girls, turned into men and women who pounded away at instruments and stayed up all hours of the night pouring their everything into a beat and into the story they wish to tell us.  

I have an abundant amount of respect for musicians (real musicians) who gave and continue to give of themselves, completely. And if you know music at all, you can tell.  You know what I mean, not Britney Spears, synthesized music with words written by some robotic word machine (although I've been known to belt out the Britney tunes, and others).  Here are the people/groups that come to mind...and depending on your age, you may or may not have even heard of some of them.  Jim Croce, The Carpenters, Lifehouse, Green Day, Nickelback, Eminem (yep)....I'm sure the list goes on, just a sampling of where I'm coming from.  You listen to their music....really listen to the words and you hear the story.  

You can FEEL it...their passion, their emotion, and it's relatable.  It makes sense.  It's like this secret you share with a musician when their music touches you.  It's like they know something about you or how you feel that no one else knows, and they know exactly how to put it into words.  And it almost helps you think about or process the feeling (good, bad or other) and you know you're not alone.  And you still didn't even have to talk to a soul, if you didn't want to.  

It's like therapy...internal, privately shared therapy.

You didn't think I'd end the post without some examples did you...

"'Cause it's you and me and all of the people with nothing to do
Nothing to lose
And it's you and me and all other people
And I don't know why, I can't keep my eyes off of you."  ~Lifehouse  (You and Me)

"Everytime the time was right
All the words just came out wrong
So I'll have to say I love you in a song." 

 ~Jim Croce  (I Have to Say I Love You In a Song)  (my dad would be so proud...lol)

"Love, look at the two of us, Strangers in many ways 
We've got a lifetime to share , So much to say and as we go 
From day to day.  I'll feel you close to me 
But time alone will tell .  Let's take a lifetime to say, I knew you well 
For only time will tell us so . And love may grow for all we know."  
~The Carpenters  (For All We Know)

"Mistreated, misplaced, misunderstood
Miss 'No way, it's all good'
It didn't slow me down.
Mistaken, always second guessing
Underestimated, look I'm still around."  ~Pink  (F*&%-ing Perfect)

And one of the best story tellers ever....

"You took your coat off and stood in the rain,
You're always crazy like that.
And I watched from my window,
Always felt I was outside looking in on you.
You're always the mysterious one with
Dark eyes and careless hair,
You were fashionably sensitive
But too cool to care.
You stood in my doorway, with nothing to say
Besides some comment on the weather."    ~Jewel  (Foolish Games)

I have so many more that I can't even think of...but stories.  


Just listen...feel it...therapy, I tell ya!  xoxo

2 comments:

  1. I love Music with stories behind them, the real stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so true Christy. Just three words... Mary Chapin Carpenter.

    ReplyDelete